VOLUNTEER INFORMATION LETTER
FLORIDA COUNSELING ASSOCIATION
70th Annual Convention
“Destination – Self-Care! Awareness and Challenges: Strategies and Solution”
October 4th & 5th, 2019
Pre-Convention Sessions Begin on October 3, 2019
Dear Graduate Student:
Thank you for your interest in participating as a volunteer at the Florida Counseling Association 2019 Annual Convention in Tampa, Florida. The Graduate Student Volunteer Program is designed for graduate students to engage in service work and assist in the overall success of the convention. This program is a great opportunity to meet and interact with leading counseling professionals and fellow students across the state of Florida.
The enclosed letter explains the commitment and criteria needed to be a part of the volunteer program. Please read this entire letter before you commit. All interested graduate students are required to:
o Be an active FCA Student Member. If you are not a member, you can go online and complete the student member application. Go to flacounseling.org and select “Click to join or renew FCA” tab on the upper right-hand side of the main page. (Please note that confirmation of membership will be required in order to be considered for the graduate student volunteer program).
o Complete the Graduate Student Volunteer Application Form.
o Provide faulty member/advisor’s name and email address to verify student status.
o Volunteer a minimum of 3 to 6 hours over the 2-day convention period, with potential assistance prior to the convention. You will be charged the full registration rate if you do not volunteer the minimum 3 hours. You will receive 50% off the early bird registration fee for half of the convention hours (3+ hours) and 100% off of the early bird registration fee for all of the convention hours (6+ hours) after the conference event. Understand there may be a need to work additional hours for the overall success of the convention. *Please note verification of hours and refunds may take up to 30 days to process.
If selected as a volunteer, an acceptance letter will be sent via email with a volunteer code to use when you register for the convention. PLEASE wait for the acceptance to the volunteer program and volunteer code prior to registering. All volunteers will register for the FCA convention as a student member. Make sure to log into your account prior to starting the registration process to ensure that identification of student member status is confirmed.
*Only one discount code can be used towards convention registration.
· Volunteers may be assigned to a variety of aspects of the convention. Assignments may include but not limited to education sessions, assisting with registration and information area, monitoring tables, luncheon assistance, and/or assisting in the Exposition Area. Please view the document “Potential Volunteer Assignments 2019” for further explanation.
· You will be required to arrive at each of your volunteer assignments at least 10 minutes before the scheduled start time with all of the necessary materials required for that assignment. Being prompt to your assignments is an important requirement in order for the convention to proceed on schedule.
· Volunteers must complete 3-6 hours over the entire course of the conference. This may include working during any and all days of the conference the volunteer is present. There may be the need for additionally assignments that would exceed the 3 to 6-hour minimum to fulfill the needs for success of the convention.
· Volunteer schedules will be created on a first come first served basis. Therefore, it is in your best interest to apply early.
· Volunteer schedules will not be adjusted to accommodate preferences to attend certain sessions or events. You will have the opportunity to participate in the activities you are assigned to as long as your volunteer requirements for that assigned activity are also completed.
· The Graduate Student Volunteer Committee does not have the ability to meet any preferences for pairing or grouping friends to the same assignment or for similar time slots.
● If your employer or professor has specific requests for you to attend certain Education Sessions please understand that we will make all attempts to work with your available schedule that you will provide in the Volunteer Travel Form. Please note that careful consideration should be taken prior to committing to volunteering.
● To optimize the balance between volunteer requirements and participation in the conference, it is recommended that perspective volunteers plan to arrive at the conference on Thursday October 3th, and spend at least one or more days at the conference.
● If your travel plans change upon arriving or departing from the conference, the coordinators will work with you to fit in your 3-6 hours with your new schedule as is possible, or you may opt to decline your volunteer status and forfeit reimbursement of the conference registration fee.
The volunteer agreement entitled “Graduate Student Volunteer Application Form” must be submitted online via the following link https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RWNZKS8.
Again, thank you for your interest in volunteering for the 2019 FCA Convention!
FCA Graduate Student Volunteer Committee
Florida Counseling Association is a non-profit organization, branch of the American Counseling Association.