2017 FCA Convention Volunteer Information
Dear Graduate Student:
Thank you for your interest in participating as a volunteer at the Florida Counseling Association 2017 Annual Convention in Orlando, Florida. This year’s theme is “Counselors United: One Mission of Connection, Compassion and Community.” The Graduate Student Volunteer Program is designed for graduate students to engage in service work and assist in the overall success of the convention. This program is a great opportunity to meet and interact with leading counseling professionals and fellow students across the state of Florida.
The enclosed letter explains the commitment and criteria needed to be a part of the volunteer program. Please read this entire letter before you commit. All interested graduate students are required to:
o Be an active FCA Student Member. If you are not a member, you can go online and complete the student member application. Go to flacounseling.org and select “Click to join or renew FCA” tab on the upper right hand side of the main page. (Please note that confirmation of membership will be required in order to be considered for the graduate student volunteer program).
o Complete the Graduate Student Volunteer Agreement form: Coming Soon!!
o Provide faulty member/advisor’s name, email address, and phone number to verify student status.
o Volunteer a minimum of 5 hours over the 3 day convention period. You will be charged the full registration rate if you do not volunteer the minimum 5 hours. Understand there may be a need to work additional hours for the overall success of the convention.
The Graduate Student Volunteer Program selection is on a first come basis with confirmation of FCA membership and graduate student status. All individuals who complete the Graduate Student Volunteer Agreement will be contacted via email with the outcome of their volunteer status. There will be a short waiting list of individuals in the event that a volunteer cancels prior to the September 1, 2017 deadline.
o If selected as a volunteer, an acceptance letter will be sent via email with a discount code to use when you register for the convention. You must register for the FCA conference no later than September 1, 2017. Volunteer cancellations after September 1, 2017 will result in a $25 cancellation fee if the individual will not be attending the conference. If an individual plans to still attend the conference and not volunteer, the remaining conference fee will be charged.
o All volunteers will register for the FCA convention as a student member. Make sure to log into your account prior to starting the registration process to ensure that identification of student member status is confirmed.
Returning volunteers will be refunded the registration fee minus a $25 cancellation fee, which will be refunded after the convention and confirmation that volunteer commitment was fulfilled.
· Volunteers may be assigned to a variety of aspects of the conference. Assignments may include but not limited to education sessions, assisting with registration and information area, monitoring tables, luncheon assistance, and/or assisting in the Exposition Area. Please view the document “2017 Potential Volunteer Assignments” for further explanation.
· You will be required to arrive at each of your volunteer assignments at least 10 minutes before the scheduled start time with all of the necessary materials required for that assignment. Being prompt to your assignments is an important requirement in order for the conference to proceed on schedule.
· Volunteers must complete 5 hours over the entire course of the conference. This may include working during any and all days of the conference the volunteer is present. There may be the need for additionally assignments that would exceed the 5 hour minimum to fulfill the needs for success of the convention.
· Volunteer schedules will be created on a first come first served basis. Therefore, it is in your best interest to apply early.
· Volunteer schedules will not be adjusted to accommodate preferences to attend certain sessions or events. You will have the opportunity to participate in the activities you are assigned to as long as your volunteer requirements for that assigned activity are also completed.
· The Volunteer Coordinator does not the ability to meet any preferences for pairing or grouping friends to the same assignment or for similar time slots.
● If your employer or professor has specific requests for you to attend certain Learning Institutes or Education Sessions please understand that we cannot meet the conference needs for volunteers as well as accommodate personal requests to the satisfaction of all parties. You will need to carefully consider your options and decide for yourself whether or not volunteering is the best option for your personal situation.
● To optimize the balance between volunteer requirements and participation in the conference, it is recommended that perspective volunteers plan to arrive at the conference on Thursday October 14th, and spend at least one or more days at the conference.
● If your travel plans change upon arriving or departing from the conference, the coordinators will work with you to fit in your 5 hours with your new schedule as is possible, or you may opt to decline your volunteer status and remit payment of the remaining conference registration fee.
If you are a returning volunteer, and you have volunteered at one or both of the last two FCA Conventions in good standing, your registration will be complimentary. You must have volunteered at the 2015 and 2016 FCA conventions only, meet the above criteria, and have filled out the appropriate area on the Graduate Student Volunteer Agreement.
The volunteer agreement entitled “Graduate Student Volunteer Agreement” must be submitted online via the following link which will be shared with you as soon as possible.
Again, thank you for your interest in volunteering for the 2017 FCA Convention!
Kristie Knight, Ed.S.
FCA President-Elect/Convention Chair